Sunday, February 28, 2010

Living without plastic

So today is the beginning of my journey without plastic. Well I should clarify, I am not disposing of all the plastic in my life, I have decided that I am no longer going to purchase anything that is wrapped or contained in plastic. This is may be quite challenging and fortunately it won't exclude beer and wine! However there are a few food items which I rather enjoy that are confined within a polyethylene cage. Tofu is going to be the single most challenging item to overcome. I am yet to find a brand of tofu which is available in an alternative packaging. Therefore my only option is to make tofu myself. This is a task I have been wanting to perform for a while and believe it is within my abilities to achieve. Now not using plastic bags has never really been an issue for me as I ride my bike everywhere and consequently always have a backpack with me ready to be filled with whatever items require bagging. That leads me to my next thought of loose items like grapes, which are measured by weight. I guess I will simply have to reuse some of the plastic bags my housemates have collected or conversely use paper bags designed for mushrooms of which I already have a few. So far I think this journey should be relatively easy. Fortunately I have access to a couple of food co-ops where I can buy in bulk using my own containers. So off I go on my plastic free adventure. Wish me luck and feel free to leave comments and helpful suggestions.

No comments: